Sunday, May 1, 2011

A Meme Not to Be Forgotten




She was our grandma, stout, silver haired with soft eyes and flawless skin. I remember her black hat with a veil and hat pin to keep it on her head. She also wore a head net to keep the sliver locks from slipping onto her face. To our young eyes she was old, she was strong, and she was stern. We did not see her human attributes, we only saw her as Meme our fathers mother.
Every time a baby was born she would appear at our house, her sleeves rolled up, her apron on, and her stern countenance ready to take on the responsibilities of helping mom. She would wash diapers, make formula, and apply her folk remedies to all what ailed us. As the family grew, so did her responsibilities. She would see to us older siblings, make us wash behind our ears and our necks which we were always inclined to skip. She would whip up meals out of scanty cupboards and she would keep us in line so latest baby could be attended to. Meme was stern but loving. She was of few words but her looks spoke volumes. She was born of time when sacrifice was expected, actions were for the good of the family unit, and waste was not tolerated. She made us clean up our plates and told us about the starving children in India. We dare not misbehave.
It wasn’t until years later that I learned the story behind the woman who was my French speaking grandmother. I had left my home and traveled the world and did not have the pleasure of her company as an adult. It was after she was long buried that I learned about the real essence of my indomitable grandmother.
She grew up poor, the step child of a French speaking family in Canada. They migrated to Massachusetts and as a young woman she married another Frenchman named George. They were hard working and upright people who raised five children during the depression. Work was hard to come by; ingenuity was a skill that was born out of the circumstances of little money and little opportunity. My grandparents together developed a formula for making picture frames. They were made with flour, hardened and painted as beautifully as the roses on a wedding cake. The frames were primarily made for wedding pictures. They peddled those frames in town after town. That is how they put food on the table and money in the Sunday mass collection. Meme not only fed her family but those of the extended family that would drop in. She was an excellent cook and seemed to make grand meals out of almost nothing. She could make a soup bone into an epicurean feast. She made her own bread and the house would fill with the aroma of freshly baked bread. Her talents did not stop there. She had a wealth of knowledge of homeopathic remedies. She nursed her own family and many neighbors back to health with her home brewed concoctions. In addition to that she was an “unofficial mid wife” and brought babies into the world in the spirit of helping out. It was a time when neighbor helped neighbor and my grandmother brought all her gifts and knowledge to bear. She is also attributed with saving a life of a neighbor when the doctors pronounced the situation helpless. She was widely respected.
Life was not easy, rewards were few. My grandfather who was coming home from work one day saw two men fighting. He tried to break up the fight and was bitten by one of the men. The bite eventually was infected and the bacteria got into his blood stream. He became weak and very sick. He could no longer work and Meme took care of him, worked in a factory and raised her children with never a word of complaint. She was made of strong stock. Eventually my grandfather died.
After some years went by Meme married again. It was a short marriage because her new companion suffered wounds from the war and died after a couple of years. She was alone again, but remained busy helping her five grown children wherever she could and showing us all what real character is all about. God Bless my Meme.

The most sublime courage I have ever witnessed has been among that class too poor to know they possessed it, ad too humble for the world to discover it.”
 George Bernard Shaw

6 comments:

  1. beautiful quote loved the story, must write to you about the story line I followed. Me-me was supposedly a commoner and when Pepe married her he was dis-communicated from the family?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can remember sitting with meme in the parlor and her watching boxing on t.v. She made me feel like I was her favorite I'll bet her life was even more difficult than Mom's Children and family were so important to both.

    ReplyDelete
  3. and as a child you know how the outside beckons you. "Come dance with me like the wind. the blue sky is praying that you would come and and see that blue that brightens the mind and the spirit"
    But Meme' would always ask in such a commanding way. You need to stay and watch the boxing match with me. Didn't she understand the wind was asking me to dance and the sky was begging me to sing her song.
    She was the French Matriarch and she wasn't about to take no for an answer. So I said we'; and the day frittered away into the hard hit sound of the punch and the moan. Meme' and would pull my thick blond hair into a tight braid and mom's favorite do was the banana curl and to my chagrin I was always polished like a Kennedy ready to hold my head high like any of the proud children of Davis Ave. We strutted in our factory maid American fashion. i remember my easter dress when i was about 11 It was as slick as any present day fashionista could poise and turn in. Meme's sisters and our aunties were all about fashion. They brought over piles and piles of cloths to our family so we could sport the latest trend and feel coiffed and groomed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The dress was black and white.
    What a concept I thought. The material was a transparent light cotton linen it had long tulip cuffs and a sleeve that was cut close to the skin and you could relish in the softness of the fabric. The skirt flowered around the waist so that you could twirl in the wind and the dress would dance around you. and the tiny waist was belted with a shiny black pat and leather. I remember after playing through another winter standing beneath the large budding Hickory tree that on the soft earth my shiny white pat and leather shoes were quickly abandoned for just plain bare feet. It was a happy Easter and I was so happy at the arrival of spring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WHAT BEAUTIFUL MEMERYS TO SHARE, NOW I KNOW Where I got my strength...from both sides of the family. So much here i could not remember. Thanks Barbar. Please dont stop sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are so blessed with such strong God fearing woman of our youth.

    ReplyDelete