Saturday, April 30, 2011

The British and their Hats


I was as glued to the TV as any Englishman who couldn’t make the Wedding Ceremony of Kate and William. Her dress was perfect; elegant, regal but not overstated, and accentuated her happiness wrapped in beauty. I enjoyed the bands, the choirs, the sermon, and the pomp. However, what captivated me most was the parade of hats. Having loved hats for as long as I can remember it was a tour de force. Having never had the verve to display my spunky side I watched with stark admiration as the women exhibited their head gear with assurance, strutting about like peacocks in full regalia.  It seems the custom of hats has never left the Brits. Queen Elizabeth is never seen without one, but it is not confined to royalty. The commoner will display their Fascinators’ with the same confidence and poise.
Covering your head goes beyond staying warm or keeping the sun out, it is a statement that you are a lady. Furthermore as fashion history explains, it draws attention to the face, or sometimes interest in what lies beneath the wide rim.
I vote to revive the crowning of ladies in America with these creations of art. I want to see some mystique back into the mainstream of women. I am tired of our carefree, who cares dress code. Women with bellies hanging out, shirts with some political statement, flip flops; they have destroyed the feminine mystique. It is not going to hurt women’s liberation one bit to keep a bit of you under wraps. In fact the joy of the past was discovering who that woman was underneath the crown. I vote for restraint and vote against letting it all hang out.  Bring on the Facinators.


No comments:

Post a Comment