Thursday, May 19, 2011

In the Childrens' Vernacular


Words have a long trail
I tried to go back in my mind and recall the vernacular of my youth. I certainly need the help of my siblings on this one. Here is a humble attempt at what my tender little ears would hear from the adults and the siblings:

Stop that or you’ll be in Dutch
You’re cruising for a bruising
I’m telling dad
I’m telling dad
I’m telling dad
Go get a switch from the tree
Quiet down or I’m coming up there
Children should be seen, but not heard
You’re going to get a whipping
And in later years from our beloved mother
You can’t have a dream come true if you don’t have a dream
Good Luck, Bad Luck who knows?
I feel lower than an ant’s sandal.
Love one and other.
When you wake up ask the question, ‘I wonder what wonderful thing will happen to be today?”

Words have always had an overly large influence in my life. I remember memorizing a poem on the wall in our living room.

For flowers that bloom about our feet
For tender grass, so fresh, so sweet
For Song of bird and hum of bee
Father in Heaven we thank thee.

Then there was the grace that preceded each meal.
Bless us, O Lord, for these Thy gifts, which we are about to receive from Thy bounty. Through Christ our Lord we pray. Amen.

At night we would kneel by our beds and say the famous prayer;
Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the lord my soul to keep, if I should die before I wake, I pray the lord my soul to take.

Words were everywhere and I would grab at them like candy in a candy jar. I wanted to think about them, find their place in the perplexity of life, and learn.
I would welcome my sibling’s contributions to the vocabulary we were subjected too and the wisdom that ensued. I often think that the colorful language and expressive ways of our clan is why I grew up to love the written word.


1 comment:

  1. I have more explicative memories but what you have shared is true.
    What about the basement wall when we got in trouble and had to kneel until one would admit the transgression. I also remember the switch where we had to go pick out a branch to be used. I would always pick one that would break but dad insisted on a green one that was more potent.

    ReplyDelete