Monday, May 16, 2011

Ten Little Indians


There was a lot of music and noise in our household. Dad would put me on his knee and sing all sorts of silly songs. I remember some of the lyrics like ‘the hip bones’ connected to the leg bone, or Give me cracked corn, or Would you like to wish on a star, carry moon beams home in a jar. When dad would sing in his rich baritone voice I would feel so happy. I think there was a piano somewhere along the way and he would play notes to go with his song.  I was always enraptured by words and would visualize everything he sang. Singing was also a pass time when we went to bed. We would sing 10 little Indians and supposedly fall asleep when we got to one. I really doubt that happened. We also sang 100 Bottles of Beer on the Wall, and Found a Peanut, all repetitious but serving us quite well. When we were alone in the house it was not uncommon for us to bellow out songs, especially me. I remember two quite different songs I would sing. ‘Nobody loves me, Nobody Cares” was a popular hit and my rendition was quite, quite dramatic. I also sang Our Father Whom Art in Heaven, with my whole heart and soul. The Catholic Church had a great influence on me and my actions.
I think now of my gifted brothers and sisters and realize that the genesis of that may very well be in the exposure and joy we had in expressing ourselves with full abandon in those youthful days. Kathy, Mary and Geoff are talented artists. Mary Ellen paints beautifully and sings, and plays the flute. Kathy is a song writer and performer with a voice as sweet as honey. Geoff was amazing with his nautical pen and ink pictures as well as painting. I remember him picking up a white square gift box in mom’s hospice room and in a few minutes it was a work of art. He drew pictures on all sides. How I marvel at such talent.  Ronnie and I appreciate the arts although that particular gene swept over us. However Ron made up for it with his ability to earn money and invest strategically. Laurie shows such remarkable skill in working with the exceptional children and is compassionate and a good friend.  No question there is a lot of talent floating around the Gabriel family and I’m proud of each and every one of them.

2 comments:

  1. One little two little three little Indians. I would love to find the origins of those songs. Although we came from the generation of Children should be seen but not heard we sure did our share of singing our hearts out. Together with Jeff as the mistro, He taught me so many beautiful songs, One was the clarinet the clarinet goes doodle doodle doodle det. The violins singing like lovely ringing, Swing Low sweet sharia was a song that I often sang to Forrest when he was a baby Who's that yonder dressed in red let my people go Must be the children that Moses lead let my people go. Early songs no doubt from Negro Spirituals, to fifties twang. Those summer nights when we were mosquito bitten from head to toe, or itching from bouts of poison ivy the sweet sound of Dad singing or the siblings good night songs made whatever misery we suffered seem insignificant. We were safe with Moms doting love and Dads sweet lullaby.... Your dad's rich and your mama's good-looking so hush little baby don't you cry. Music may have been the backdrop for our entire childhood and carried over to the next generation and some how makes each one of us so much more human!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so enjoying my Talented sisters Blog's, if thats not art what is.?
    Ps Babrbara check out my art sometime. Wait , don't you have m a painting of mine.
    Man Geoff use to draw ships ,so young ,like nobody"s buisness.
    love love love these memory's. THANK YOU.

    ReplyDelete