Monday, September 25, 2017

Funny is as funny thinks!

Have you ever noticed how doctors are getting younger, print is getting smaller, people are talking softer? Welcome to the 70’s Club. We might be diverse in our interests, politics and religions, but we have an abundance of similarity in navigating the term called “old age”. In some ways every day is an adventure, and we don’t even have to leave our house.

If you have a sense of humor you are in for a joyful ride. If you don’t, brace yourself for some sobriety that will make you want to drink.

It was a fine sunny day when I finally got me hearing aids. I placed the tiny little buggers in my ears after I placed a battery about as big as period in the slot; a feat in itself. When I opened the front door I heard the birds singing. What an auspicious beginning. The day progressed but my husband seemed to be yelling at me all the time. I think he needs to invest in hearing aids. Don’t people who are hard of hearing talk loud? I heard things I had not hear in a long time. The sound of my pee in the toilet, the voluminous snores of my husband taking a nap, the roar of the cars zooming by my front door, all delivered to my delicate ears of 70 years plus.

A few days later I was in the car going to a doctor’s appointment, (what else), when the car started making a beeping sound. I frantically looked at the dashboard for any warning lights, to no avail. The beeping continued so I turned off all the knobs and buttons. The beeping continued. I wondered if I was putting my life in danger by continuing to drive. I stopped the car. The beeping continued. Finally an aha moment. The batteries in my hearing aids were dying. Everyday there is a new puzzle to solve. Welcome to the 70’s Club.

No comments:

Post a Comment